Sunday, July 6, 2008

Swimming, Fireworks, and House Update

Yesterday we took Kaleb swimming at the Lehi city pool. After much coaxing I was able to get him to go down the tube/slide (which is pitch black all the way down) and he absolutely loved it. So we did it again and again, I got pretty good at keeping Kaleb above water upon landing...Joelle didn't. I can't accuse her of trying to drown our child, because Kaleb only gave her the one shot and he was done with riding the slide with her.



Kaleb giving his approval of the water slide


After swimming we went to Joe and Jen's house for illegal firework viewing. There were some pretty good fireworks that gave the neighbors a good scare on several occasions as the firework aiming mechanisms were less than accurate. And then... POLICE INTERVENTION!!! Now, I've been on the receiving end of severe police intervention (sorry dad) before, and I was prepared to bolt and let the kid and wife fend for themselves, but I stuck in there and the entire episode was over in under 15 seconds and I didn't even have to get involved. It went something like this:

Salt Lake County Sheriff Deputy pulls up:

Deputy: You guys know those are illegal right?

Joe's Cousin: Yeah, we do

Deputy: You also know there is a minimum $500 fine?

Joe's Cousin: I didn't

Deputy: Well there is, so those need to stop.

Joe's Cousin: Ok, sorry

Deputy: Alright.

(Deputy turns around and walks back to his car and drives away)


WHAT!?!? THAT WAS IT!? There was an overflowing box of Wyoming special fireworks sitting 15 feet away in plain sight from Inspector Clouseau and he didn't give a hoot. I think this particular policeman was so lazy that I could have grabbed one of the many Roman Candles in the box, lit it up, and fired it straight at him and gotten nothing more than a wink from the guy. If I were him I would have cited every man, woman, and child in sight for $500 and poured a 5-gallon bucket of water into the firework box. Luckily for everybody around I didn't follow in my Dad's footsteps and go into law enforcement, but I have a feeling that my brother who is in law enforcement would have done just what I said. LOVE YOU JEFF!

Just up the street from Joe and Jen, our house is being built. I'm no expert in home construction, in fact, most random 6-year-olds could give you more helpful information on building a house than I could, but with that being said, I think the Footings for our house have been poured. Here is a current picture of what the site looks like, if I was wrong in my assesment feel free to leave a comment and let me know just what is happening on our lot.


Footings?
And with that, I'm done babbling.

5 comments:

The Knudsen Family said...

Yup those be footings, and the metal thingys sticking out of the concrete are called rebar. They will help your basement walls stay solid. :) Anywho nice post. The fireworks story brought back flashbacks of us and Chris in his bitchin camero and our fun-filled adventures. (Amazing what a rubberband, match, and bottlerocket can do!) YeeeHaa!
Good stuff, keep it comin.

Chemenn said...

I would have beat your butt with my night stick! That's why i'm not a cop. Actually no..I would have probably done the same thing that officer did. Again...that's why i'm not a cop. Looks like you guys had a good time!

Shannon Abbott said...

Wow I can't bleave that! I'm partying with you next 4th!

Julie said...

Sweet! They are just moving right along aren't they! Your house will be done in no time!

JeffChugg said...

I would have challenged the constiutionality of the fireworks ban in the first place. Sounds like the Utah legislature just doesn't like fun.